View Single Post
Old 2013-08-17, 3:17pm

Sorry, I was using photo speak... flat lighting means you don't have any depth (it has a 2D appearance and not a simulated 3D look) or sparkle (which is what you are missing) to your object. What photographers say is that the picture is lifeless... kind of like the difference between a bar of gold and a bar of lead. One shines and the other doesn't. Not that the lighting in your example above is that bad, but with just side lighting, you aren't going to get the sparkle and shine and colors that pop as you would with some additional front lighting. You may not even no the difference until you have seen two pictures side by side, one with two side lights and one with two side lights and a front light or one side light and one front light. I've also done 5 lights before, 1 on each side, two at the front at 45 degree angles and one behind (sometimes above looking down).

You don't need everything else to practice lighting your beads. You can never practice too much.

Mike