View Single Post
Old 2017-03-16, 8:23am

I use an 8m with a premix adapter with 104 coe glass frequently. It's actually really nice, except that I haven't found a tip that's just right - they're all either not broad enough or too broad. You do have to be a little more careful to avoid thermal shock, but it's not that bad. I don't know that it will be a "better" flame, but it'll be better for some things, and it should have a cleaner edge to the flame.

It looks like the 8m premix adapter is about $55, then you'll need a tip to go with it, which should cost about $55 also. I really like the 55-hole Shelbo Whisper tip and the tips that Wale makes (the Whisper Tip is more laser-focused and aggressive, but might be too-much-so) and you might as well get a #5 tip to play around with, since they're only $15 or so and will give you a tiny needlepoint flame that also has its uses. Also, if you don't have flashback arrestors, get some - they're more likely to save your life when you're using a premix torch.

The difference you're seeing could just be photography, too. The pictures of the SM7 tip running I've seen make it look like a laser - http://www.sundanceglass.com/national8mtr.html. Doesn't matter - the premix tips burn hotter and are more laser-like - especially the Whisper Tips.

Last edited by dusty; 2017-03-16 at 8:26am.