View Single Post
Old 2009-02-23, 2:08pm

Default Best Eye Health Info? How Do We Figure Out If We're Safe Enough?

To All

I'm sure the debate on the best eye protection for boro, soda-lime or other glass work has been raging for far longer than I've been involved with glass (probably the understatement of the century!). The recent discussions here in LE, however, got me wondering if there are any other expert reports with measurements like the one report by NIOSH to which Pam D, Dale M and others have published links in other parts of LE as well as in other forums. If so, what's out there and is there a way we can use that information to decide if we're safe enough or need to be safer? Or, have, say, groups like the scientific glassblowing community or industrial eye health professionals already done this and it doesn't need to be repeated? If so, does anyone have any favorite links or evaluations they'd like to share?

As a personal disclaimer, I've by no means read everything there is to read on this subject, nor am I an expert in eye health or the effects of radiation on eye health. I'm like anyone else in that I'm looking for open-source information available from experts in this field that will help me understand if I'm safe with what I'm doing.

My sense, though, is that the answer to all this is like ventilation, it depends on what a lampworker is doing. In some circumstances for example, safety items such as eyewear alone (no matter how good) may not be enough and may need to be supplemented. Boro shields used in conjunction with glasses for boro work come to mind as an example.

So....how to decide and how to know what to do?

What are your thoughts?

Linda