Thread: Enamels!
View Single Post
Old 2008-03-08, 7:56pm
Your Royal Fritness

Hi,

When working with enamels there are several safety rules to follow:

Use your enamels in a well ventilated work area and wear a protective dust mask if you are working with enamel powders for an extended period of time.

Wash your hands prior to eating and do not smoke or handle food when you are working with enamels.

Always open your enamels under your ventilation system.

When placing enamel beads in the kiln make sure that they do not touch other beads. The enamel will cause them stick to each other.

I use enamels a couple of ways. You can have a small pile of enamel on your marver and roll your molten bead in it. Or you can use an enamel sifter and sift enamel on your bead. You can use enamels with brass stencils to create patterns in your beads as well. You have to be careful not to fry your enamel once you have it on the bead as well.

For this cameo set I used a stensil with a sifter.

Have fun and be safe. I can not stress the point enough that you need an EXCELLENT ventilation system to work with enamels.

Dawn
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mustang Dawn; 2008-03-08 at 8:05pm.