View Single Post
Old 2012-07-06, 6:26am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I know it's dangerous. Anyone remember Alex Mirinov? Years ago she explained what it could do and I never forgot the creepy feeling I got in my hands when I read it. I don't like using it, but certainly will to get a look I want. To me, it's just as dangerous as what can happen with a flame. What if you tripped near your torch and fell into the flame? I take the danger seriously and do what I can to stay safe.

I wear gloves, big plastic safety goggles over my glasses, jeans and long sleeves. (I have never been a flip flop in the studio person so no trouble having shoes on) I hadn't thought to wear a respirator but will add that to the process. I have a baking soda solution nearby. Although it looks like Milk of Magnesia might be a good thing to have open and nearby instead. Easier to have as a dedicated part of the process.

In the past, when I was ready to replace my etch all I would neutralize it with a baking soda solution to dispose of it. Anyone know the proper way?
From the MSDS in the first post

Quote:
SMALL SPILLS:
Wear self-contained breathing apparatus and full protective clothing. Neutralise with Lime (Calcium Hydroxide) if possible. Take up with sand, dirt or vermiculite. DO NOT use sawdust. Use non-sparking tools. Place into labelled drum(s) for later disposal.
So based on that the best neutralser is lime, not baking soda.

The milk of magnesia seems to be the go for first aid

When I talked to my husband about this tonight he was stunned we were using HFA, he's involved in the civil construction business and they quite often have to deal with cleanups on industrial sites - he said they're not allowed to handle HFA until they do a three day course on how to handle it safely, he was amazed I was able to buy it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy