View Single Post
Old 2011-01-04, 5:05pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I imagine it would be OK to direct people to a tutorial, just not to start a thread to promote your own.
Isn't that the way it's supposed to be now??

I have no problem with someone asking a question on how to do things and being directed to a purchasable tutorial if it covers their question, as long as it doesn't stifle legitimate discussion. I thought what we were discussing was the proliferation of promotional threads in the main section.

I love the "for sale" tutorials; I've purchased many. I like the Tutorials for Purchase area and I go there to choose which ones I want to save up for. I don't understand why it's necessary for the same basic thread as four others previously posted, to show up in an area it doesn't belong.

and I think I read Shari's idea differently than you did, Amy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Just to clarify... you're saying:

1. Tutorials for Sale: all threads regarding tutorials for purchase go here.
2. Tutorial for Free: all threads regarding tutorials for free go here.
3. Main Tutorial Section: general discussion goes here but no pimping or spamming about your finished tutorials whether they be free or for purchase or if they are on sale.
See, to me, Shari's idea seemed to read:

1. Tutorials for Sale: threads regarding tutorials for purchase go here.
2. Tutorial for Free: threads regarding tutorials for free go here.
3. Main Tutorial Section: general discussion goes here, as well as announcements about paid tutorials and current sales, and questions from possible tutorial vendors about making a tutorial on stuff, etc.

And I think if we do that, a lot of good information will get lost. Not every "free tutorial" is a written step-by-step document. There are lots of free gems within threads that ask questions. So if we separate out the "free" stuff, then someone has to go back and recopy stuff to the new "free tutorial" section to save it, otherwise it'll get lost in the deluge.

I remember a really long discussion about "newbies" who didn't bother searching for the answers to the questions, and how important searching is before you ask for answers, otherwise you're showing a sense of entitlement, etc. Shouldn't we be trying to figure out the best way to make sure that valuable information isn't lost and requested ad nausium??

Getting back to Kalera's statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I imagine it would be OK to direct people to a tutorial, just not to start a thread to promote your own.
Why can't we just do that with the main tutorial section right now?? That's a lot of what people have been asking for.

Last edited by Damselfly; 2011-01-04 at 5:12pm.