View Single Post
Old 2012-08-19, 7:47am

I use a lot of DH and I have discovered that the pressure of the propane and how much propane is still present in the tank alters the reduction effects on my beads. Years ago I started a diary of my daily beads. I got very frustrated because I was not always getting consistent results so the pendants would match the earrings for production.
This is what I found:

Different torches are easier and harder to get the best reduction. BUT they all work....

The pressure of your propane needs to be adjusted every time you torch for the proper pressure at the torch.

This was the hardest to diagnose. As the propane tank empties, my reduction results get less predictable. I have started refilling my propane tank when my tank is at 1/4 full or moving it to my gas grill to use up the remainder. This has solved the problem. I even took a scale outside and tracked the weigh of the propane tank to the reduction success. There was a direct correlation... I know it sounds crazy but I have no problems with unpredictable results if I work with a full propane tank and my regulator has been correctly set.

I now switch off between boro and soft. I work in cycles of my propane tank. When it is full I work soft. When it empties to about half, I switch to boro at my other work station ( unless I have an order to fill) I keep 3 propane tanks on hand just if I need to work soft. One is usually hooked to the grill. I get about 6 weeks on a tank if I am working full days getting ready for shows.

I also found counting helps. There is a very small window that reduction works best at. The bead needs to be just right. Not too cold or hot. Not a test and then back out and back in. But patience to cool to the exact temp and color and then a reduction flame and a few twirls, done. I find if I miss the window the reduction is just not perfect. A little O2 and start over but it never is quite the same. Now I count and know exactly when by watching the glow. I sound crazy and ADD..... but it works for me.

I have wondered if propane can partially separate?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]