View Single Post
Old 2012-08-19, 1:38pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I think your kiln is even hotter than the pyrometer and your controller says it is. Have you tried making pressed beads like lentils or nuggets? I found that round beads lose reduction much easier than pressed beads. I don't know if it's the shape or the fact that pressed beads are prone to being cooler when you reduce so the reduction sticks better. I had to lower my kiln temp so that I didn't lose reduction on my round beads.

So if you want to do a little experiment, try making three or four reduced pressed beads and put them in the center of your kiln and use the lowest temp. that you have used so far. Make some beads of whatever you want to make that day but save a little room in the center of the kiln. If you have some old Terra or some of the new Fast Striking Terra, make a couple of small, unencased barrels at the end of your torch session and strike them to a nice pastel and put them in the center and run your schedule. Make sure your annealing temp doesn't shoot up at all from that garaging temp.

So I'd be curious to see:
1. If you keep the reduction on the pressed beads
2. If your Terra beads kiln strike at all.
I hadn't thought about the shape playing a part as well. That makes sense.

I was under the impression that most held a lower garage temp (900)and went up 10-20 degrees for the anneal, and still have had success. However, I have no idea the range of shapes that are being made, so very hard to compare. So darn many variables with reducing glasses.

I do know the kiln to be true to temp in Karolen's case. We used two pyro's here and the third on her end. It runs about 5 deg below displayed temp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau