View Single Post
Old 2012-08-19, 1:51pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower33 View Post

I did check temperatures with an independent pyrometer. It showed that my kiln was running about 50 degrees hotter than what it said on the kiln's read-out. Mike and Pam at Glass Hive couldn't figure that one out, since the pyrometer in my kiln is supposedly a good one, from a good working batch of pyrometers. I wonder if contamination can cause the pyrometer to mis-read temps, like maybe it got coated with iron and doesn't work right.

I adjusted my kiln temperatures 50 degrees to compensate for this, but still had the same problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsGlass View Post

I do know the kiln to be true to temp in Karolen's case. We used two pyro's here and the third on her end. It runs about 5 deg below displayed temp.

She said 50 degrees. So when she says she used 820 degrees is that really 820 or 870? Either way, reduction shouldn't really burn off at either of those temps so now I'm at a loss if you say her temp is really a known factor. I'm at 900 for reduction glass and any striking glass that can kiln strike and I think my kiln is running a tad lower. Nothing burns off for me now. At 960 I did have a problem with round beads and any raised stringer work, especially with Aurae. Before I figured out the problem I had done a whole set of non silver glass rounds with Aurae scroll work on them and when I took them out of the kiln the next day all the reduction was burned off the stringer work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.