View Single Post
Old 2009-01-07, 8:38pm

Default Sarah's Quickie Ribbon Bead Tut

Just wanted to repost this here in the Tutorials section, so it doesn't get lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
HOW TO MAKE A RIBBON BEAD

Prep: Make encased stringers in different colors, by encasing opaque bases in darker transparent colors and pulling. For instance, cobalt or dk. amethyst over periwinkle, dk. amber over coral or trans. teal over turquoise. Make some encased goldstone stringers too, if you like.
You can also use regular stringers, but the darker encasing layer is what makes them look "ribbon-like".
Don't pull the stringers too thin. Something like 1.5-2mm is good.

1. Start out with a very thin tube-shaped core, in an opaque color. Paler colors usually work best, because it's easier to see the "ribbons" on top of them. (Don't use white, though - it doesn't like to be heavily encased.)
By "very thin core", I mean, I usually make mine with commercial stringer.

2. Encase the core in clear, or in a pale transparent. If your stringers are in colors which could be reactive, i.e. turquoise or coral, be sure to use a color they won't react with. For instance, if you're going to be using aqua-encased turquoise stringers, be sure your base color isn't, let's say, orange, because you'll end up with mud.
(As for the "how do I get such nice clear on a Hothead" question, the answer is, I only use Lauscha clear.)

3. Marver back into an even tube shape if necessary.

4. Using your encased stringers, paint vertical stripes all around the base, from top to bottom. Melt them in.

5. Encase everything in clear. I find that encasing by heating the tip of a rod of clear and painting vertical stripes from top to bottom is usually easier in this case (as opposed to coil-encasing, but you can do that too if you prefer). Marver into an even tube again.

6. Turn the heat up and hold one end of the bead in the flame, twirling slowly to let it soak in the heat. You will see the stripes inside beginning to twirl around. Continue doing this until you are happy with the results.

7. Let the warm end of the bead cool completely.

8. Do the same for the other end of the bead. If you twirl in the same direction as you did for the first end, you'll get a "wave". If you twirl in the opposite direction, you'll get a "twist". You'll see what I mean if you try it.

9. Let cool and fix the shape if necessary. You can leave it like this if you like, or...

10. Mash into a tab - the effect is pretty cool. You can leave it like this if you like, or...

11. For extra "clear space", heat the end of a rod of clear and paint a couple of stripes down both edges of the bead. Heat well to melt the stripes until they look like part of the original bead, then mash again.

12. Don't forget to flame-polish - it really makes a difference in this case.

13. Decorate with murrini, raised dots and other cool stuff.

Enjoy!

(There are some examples in this thread: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110655)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|