View Single Post
Old 2008-03-12, 7:19pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

If your kilm is on a safe fire proof something and away from anything that can catch fire your as safe as can be.
when a kiln fails on, it can get to about 2900 - 3000 f ,it wont last long at that temp befor the element burns out ,but at 2800 your 2300 f kiln brick will be glowing and the outside of the kiln will be about 5 -600 degrees ,it could start a fire if the was something close to it,so,Dont have anything close to it.Ive tested my kilns to this point to see what the max damage would be in that case.
2300 d kiln brick will crack a bit but will still be ok.Fiber kilns with 2200 degree fiber should be ok but at real high temps the fiber breaks down leaveing you with a dusty crust you dont want to breath and should be replaced.
So keep you kiln on fire proof stuff and away from anything that can catch fire and you will be just fine.
I own a glass blowing studio with a furnace at 2200 f at all times,I cant watch it all the time so its built so if it fails it wont fire up the building,its just something you have to get comfy with.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.