View Single Post
Old 2008-12-27, 7:07pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Hayley, you wonderful person, why do you constantly try to confuse me by bringing up things that I try very hard not to consider!! Okay, my honest thoughts on this - which I guess is what you are wanting - if I were to put out a tutorial on that particular dragon (which honestly would be totally useless as I cannot even copy my own work) I would consider that the people buying the tutorial were going to attempt to make that particular dragon. At this point, I am not sure that I would even offer a tutorial on a particular dragon that I didn't want copied ad nauseum. However, I would hope and expect (wearing my rose-colored glasses) that people would take the techniques and use them to make their own dragons. The posture, placement of the appendages, change, at least somewhat, with each dragon I make, so I would consider that as design for that particular dragon, but that would not be what I would be trying to convey in a tutorial. In a tutorial I would be conveying the techniques I use to create my dragons, plural, each of which is different, and if someone bought a tutorial in which I showed them how to make my dragons, then I would hope that my tutorial would be good enough that they would be able to make and sell dragons. I would also hope that perhaps they might take the techniques used and my style and morph them into swans or lizards or alligators or different dragons or something I have never thought of or attempted. That would be the reason for putting the techniques I use out there, to put those techniques into others' hands to see where they would take them.
Does "you wonderful person" translate to "you PITA?" lol!

I can't agree with you more on your clarification. If I may use your example to illustrate the following:

• For the tutorial writers (Lydia and Sherry are two) who give their blessings completely with no "if's" or "but's" - this means that the purchasers of their tutorials may choose to copy your dragon exactly, using the exact glass, placements, etc. and sell those dragons.

• For the tutorial writers (and we currently supposedly do not have anyone in this category but let's say in theory. . . ) who release their tutorials FOR INFORMATION ONLY - this means that the purchasers of their tutorials must put their own spin into the end products, using only the techniques learned.

The questions then are . . .
• Will just a simply change of glass colors be considered different enough?
• Will a dragon in flight be different enough?
• Or does it have to be a completely different animal, such as a pterodactyl?

• For the tutorial writers who put in some "pause factors" for lack of a better term . . . such as make up your own mind but do you want to be known as a copier or use your personal ethics or this is my livelihood, etc. The same three questions stated above apply . . . then it's up to the purchasers to make the judgment call as to what constitutes "their own spin" . . .

I don't have any answers . . . just thought I'd throw this out there for your hypothetical tutorial exercise discussion panel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|