View Single Post
Old 2008-12-28, 8:40am

Let's see if we can summarize using the information so generously provided by so many of you. I will list what I believe has been stated and confirmed, but please feel free to discuss, change, modify or eliminate any of the list below.

1) Tutorial authors have copyright protection for their tutorial.
A. This protection covers the right of the author to distribute the tutorial.
B. This protection explicitly prohibits the distribution of unauthorized copies of the tutorial by a purchaser or a holder of a copy of the tutorial.
C. Right of First Sale allows the purchaser of a tutorial to distribute the purchased tutorial as he or she sees fit, thus relinguishing all rights to the tutorial.

2) Tutorial authors have copyright protection for any and all pictures contained within the tutorial.

3) Tutorial authors may elect to relinguish copyright protection for any or all parts of the tutorial.
A. Tutorial authors may elect to relinguish copyright protection on the photographs contained within the tutorial for the express purpose of creating copies of the beads depicted to be produced by the purchasers for learning purposes.
B. Tutorial authors may elect to relinguish copyright protection for the duplication of the bead or beads pictured in the tutorial for commercial purposes.

4) Tutorial purchasers have the right to the knowledge contained in the tutorial.
A. That knowledge includes all techniques included in the tutorial, along with the process used by the author to create the bead pictured in the tutorial.
B. Techniques covered in the tutorial may be used by the purchaser to create beads of their own design.

5) Tutorial purchasers have the right to use the knowledge contained in the tutorial for the purpose of creating beads.
A. Tutorial purchasers may replicate any bead pictured in the tutorial for learning purposes.
B. Tutorial purchasers may not replicate any bead pictured in the tutorial for commercial purposes unless copyright to the bead or beads pictured is explicitly relinguished by the author.

Okay, what say you? I'm absolutely sure I have left something out. 3B bothers me because, as stated, it would allow AH to purchase a tutorial and, if copyright protection is relinguished by the author, as is the case so far that we have seen, use the tutorial to replicate the bead or beads in a factory setting.

Does anyone know if the author has the right to restrict purchase of their tutorial? Could an author legally deny the right to purchase to a factory owner, for instance?

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.