View Single Post
Old 2009-02-22, 7:32am

Default Tutorial copyright limitations

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and have a question about the re-sale of purchased tutorials. I have purchased tutorials (lampwork & other) in the past and am considering selling some that are no longer of any use to me. I have not created a duplicate...I just want to sell my "original" copy. I researched "copyrights" and believe that this is legal to do so. I googled the First Sale Doctrine and found a Wiki page that states:

The first-sale doctrine is a limitation on copyright that was recognized by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1908 and subsequently codified in the Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. § 109. The doctrine allows the purchaser to transfer (i.e., sell or give away) a particular lawfully made copy of the copyrighted work without permission once it has been obtained. That means that copyright holder's rights to control the change of ownership of a particular copy end once that copy is sold, as long as no additional copies are made. This doctrine is also referred to as the "first sale rule" or "exhaustion rule."

Given that information, is lampworketc a good place for me to sell some of my tutorials?

Thanks in advance!