View Single Post
Old 2009-02-22, 9:51am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and have a question about the re-sale of purchased tutorials. I have purchased tutorials (lampwork & other) in the past and am considering selling some that are no longer of any use to me. I have not created a duplicate...I just want to sell my "original" copy. I researched "copyrights" and believe that this is legal to do so. I googled the First Sale Doctrine and found a Wiki page that states:

Given that information, is lampworketc a good place for me to sell some of my tutorials?

Thanks in advance!
First off, I want to thank you for caring enough to ask about this. If you didn't care or had no ethics, you wouldn't have made the effort and I appreciate that. I hope you don't get dealt a ration of crap for asking, because I think it was a stand-up thing to do.

As a seller of tutorials myself, I can honestly say that if you have not made a duplicate copy of the tutorial, and would just like to recoup some of your expense by selling your electronic file to someone else, I don't personally have a problem with this. (We are all trying to put food on the table.) I am NOT speaking for other tutorial writers. I don't know if they would be upset or not, or if they even have any grounds to be upset. I don't even pretend to know the bottom line law about this. I think there is a lot of misinterpretation going on in regard to digital copyright.

As far as that goes, as a buyer of tutorials also, I would not resell my digital files. Mainly that is because when I buy a book, I have a physical book in my hands...a concrete item that had an expense in its making. I've paid for the physical item, not only the knowledge I got from it.

With a digital file, I really did only pay for the knowledge I got from it. Any physical, tangible evidence of the tutorial was made by my own hands when I printed it. I don't want to get that knowledge, then ask for my money back. LOL I figure if I learned how to do boro on a minor with a concentrator and it cost me $20..well that was worth it and I feel no need to try and recoup my investment. I got my money's worth.

However, if I had purchased a book (which by the way costs more to do it that way...I sell my tutorials in 3 formats and the books cost way more), I would not hesitate to resell that book.

Don't ask me to explain the emotional difference there because I can't do it. All I know is that one feels ok and the other doesn't.

This post probably makes me the queen of contradiction, but I can't help it. Basically, I don't mind if you do it to me, but I wouldn't do it to you. LOL

Pretty helpful, huh? LOL

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.