View Single Post
Old 2006-11-29, 11:26am
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
...I use a Minor and the numbers on my oxycon only go to 5, I keep it at 4.5. So my propane should be half that?
The following is why I recommend setting the oxycon at the rated maximum flow (when not connected to torch).

If you set the oxycon at 5 LPM when it is not attached to the torch, then when it is attached to the torch the flow will be controlled by the torch's oxygen valve, from 0.0 LPM to the maximum of 5.0 LPM and everywhere in between, without ever touching the oxycon flow meter/valve again.

The maximum rated flow from the oxycon is 'available' but the actual flow from the oxycon is only what the torch oxygen valve allows through. At no time can the oxycon flow more than it's rated maximum, and most times it is flowing significantly less, e.g. 2 to 4 LPM.

Oxygen purity varies among oxycons and flow rates. Setting the oxycon below the rated LPM reduces the full capability of the oxycon -- lost/wasted potential. Sometimes that little extra 0.5 LPM (when set at 4.5 LPM), would be nice to have 'available'... even if it is lower oxygen purity -- nice to have some more, versus no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
...So my propane should be half that?
Don't go away thinking that propane psig is set at 1/2 the oxycon psig. It's not. The devil is in the details -- which you asked to avoid. It's just coincidental in this particular case. As Mike said... "It is very dependant on your torch".

Me