View Single Post
Old 2013-09-19, 3:37pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Default Ingenuity needed!!! Or just a right tool...

I am working on a project where I am making glass top on the big needles, the kind of needles you use with sewing. These needles are pretty sturdy but since they are just about 3" long, I need something to hold them with. I used the handle of the X-acto knife, which would be ideal to turn since it isn't too bulky. The problem is that when I marvel, it loosens up the thread and the needle falls out. The last piece went on the floor twice and onto the table 3 times and I tried to tighten it in the middle of working numerous times. I need something that stays tight, but will not be impossible to loosen up when it is time to put it into the kiln.

I found that my smallest collet nut from my dremel would hold them perfectly, and would be easy enough to loosen up when the time comes, but the dremel is not light nor small enough to spin. Anyone would know where to find a tool that is basically just a handle for exchangable collet nuts? Or would anyone have any other ideas how to hold a needle while working on a torch?

Thanks for any help!