View Single Post
Old 2009-04-18, 4:13am

I've been doing shows for 12 yrs. Believe me I could go on a major rant with my experiences with show directors. First and formost the fact that you pay for a score but few shows tell you what that score was. I'd like to know mine so I can see if I'm close to the wait list. It's not out of the relm of possibilities that you could still get a call to do a show if you live close enough to get there on short notice. Right now I'm dealing with a show run by high school art teachers. THey are the most unprofessional. emails go unanswered, phone calls go unanswered. I was told it is "policy" not to give out scores as this info would be meaningless to me. What they meant was it was meaningless to them! I'm did'nt get into their show so now I'm meaningless?? I work for Fedex. Customer service is number one important to service your customer. WHen shows accept a app fee we become their customer. THis is something they fail to understand. I could'nt believe that a jury score is so top secret that a show would make it a policy to not give out a score. THis lack of transparency is disrespectful of artists. The folks that run a show just don't want to do the job they signed up for.
As for zap...win a few lose a few. I think if you enter a show that has the jewelry catagory broken down into metal and nonmetal you have a better chance of getting in with lampwork. After all, it's hard to compete against the pecious metals. If you look at the Madison art round the square web site, they show the artist work that were juryed into their show last yr. It's all metal but for one lucky individual who happened to get in. Good luck in all your fair endevors, it's a rough road out there! Barbara Hollosy