View Single Post
Old 2010-01-04, 9:13am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadbug View Post
In the 90's I self published 4 books on sewing. They were not in color just black and white I had to order them by the 1000's to get any good pricing on them and even then they still cost me 5 bucks. Dealing with the shipping and everything was a nightmare and I would not wish this on anyone. Look at these folks who have sold thousands of Ebooks each one of these would have had to have packaging, trips to the post office, and postage. That cut into my profits dearly and in the end I didn't end up making much money on each one. I was lucky most of my sales were of a dozen or more to the viking dealers across the country and the main viking warehouse in Cleveland ordered them by the 100's. You take a huge risk having them printed by the thousands what if you have a typo or many? What if there is new information and you would like to update? None of this can be done in hard copy. There are a whole bunch of great things about getting something electronically. The machines I wrote these books for got out dated and I still had thousands of these books in my basement. They went to the recycling in my last move it was a huge waste but they had been moved 5 times and I was not willing to move them again since they were out of date. I don't want anyone to get caught in this situation. I love the books on specialty glass but who knows if they will keep making that glass exactly the same? There are always new ways to do things and the books are easily updated to reflect what is happening in the glass world now.

These are just my feelings on this and I know that printing these are expensive but when you do print them you know that you are getting the most up to date info and I think that is what is important. The author can send out new print if there was something wrong with the old and you may just have to print a new page or so. It has happened with a few I have purchased and I was thrilled that it was so easy to fix.
Any decent printing company will print as few as 25-50 books for you. Granted, you pay a little more per book than if you ordered them 1000 at a time, but with digital presses in most shops these days, the prices have come down significantly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.