View Single Post
Old 2010-01-09, 9:12am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam View Post
There is a huge difference in digital printing or offset printing. The quality of a offset printed book is so much better then a digital printed book, especially if there are a lot of photos in it. Same goes for a glued or a really binded book. The higher quality, the higher the price.

The e-books most of the time touch one or two subjects or techniques and in printed books you will find more and different techniques. But the e-book tutorials go in to depth a lot more.

There are so many differences, you can not compare those two different medias. My conclusion is that although I like quality printed book way better then electronic books, it is not possible for a reasonable price to print every tutorial in a high quality.
It depends on the digital press. I remember when the first digital presses were nothing more than fancy laser printers (well, technically that's what they still are I guess) and the quality was definitely way behind offset printing. These days though I'll be willing to bet that nobody could tell the difference between a job printed offset and a job printed on a high end digital press. For example, go pick up a copy of Sports Illustrated. It's one of the first mainstream magazines to be printed digitally. It has been for several years.

Now, if someone wants to get their stuff printed digitally, it's not cheap (and lulu is one of the most expensive out there). Check around, and also find out about the equipment they use. Demand a print sample (which lulu won't provide), preferably of your actual job.

Again, if anyone needs help in this department, feel free to ask. Over half my life was spent in the printing industry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.