View Single Post
Old 2011-07-07, 7:00am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle View Post
Minor. I tried again this morning. I thought, "I'll make a smaller lentil - the largest of the Zoozii's trio" - probably 18mm. And again, it devitrified. It doesn't even melt and then it's devitrifying!!! It's funny as I was reading on the Devardi site to get a bead red. Here it is:

This is laughable as my bead is devitrifying while it is barely flowing! I can make an initial wrap of the glass and it's fine, then anything I add on after that is subject to devitrification. If there are any bits of uneven glass laid on (which of course, there are) these are the parts that become devitrified first. They stick up above the rest and so they receive more heat. The bead isn't even melting, but it's devitrifying!! It's maddening! I've made beads with opalinos and alabastros and they take a freakin' long time, but at least they melt! This color is like the Devil! Ha ha! I just had to throw that icon in.
I know that some colors bring me misery like that too. I have found that it's a matter of finding the ones that you like and that work for you. Then you have a good thing going for a great price When I find a color that I love but can't make work I try to remember that Devardi sells to all kinds of glass users, not just Lampwork, so some that doesn't work for us works for other applications... that's small comfort but it helps with my frustration at times

Has anyone else had luck with this color?

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-07-07 at 7:32am.