Thread: Cheaper HotHead
View Single Post
Old 2009-08-09, 1:26pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
I understand your point but safety isn't the issue, the torch shutting off or flaring as I turn it lower is. It doesn't leak.

I have a regulation/RV quality gas hose on it and the propane tank is new. Thank you for the concern.
You're welcome.

BTW, a regulation/RV quality hose and new propane tank is great ... for an RV. It is not what the Hot Head was designed to run with. The Hot Head is designed to run on one pound fuel cannisters.

Further, having a bulk propane tank inside is not only foolish, it is against code in just about every place I have ever heard of except for some commercial locations. And, I'm talking about it merely being kept inside - not next to the torch!

Are you working from a home studio or a commercial location that has the fire marshall's approval for storing bulk propane indoors? Do you have a propane drain installed? Is your tank sitting on a dolly, allowing for expedient removal?

And, even if all that is in order, you are still working with it next to you and you think that that is safe?!?

If you are working from your home, do you also store the bulk tank for your barbeque grill inside? I hope you have signs clearly posted for firefighters in the event they need to enter your home. Oh, and if you should ever have a fire, your insurance may be able to get out of paying your claim because of this - even if it is not involved in the fire and certainly not if it is. Well, it might not matter, either way, because if something went wrong, the tank is sitting right next to you and you might not be in any condition to collect any payouts.

You can certainly do whatever you feel like doing, but please keep in mind that a lot of beginners frequent this site and when they see a pictures of an unsafe set-up such as yours, they might think that it is perfectly fine when it is not. It is not safe, even under the best of circumstances. But here you are talking about a torch that is behaving erratically and showing off a picture of a set-up showing a propane tank sitting next to your torching area. Your picture is not only of an unsafe set-up, it is irresponsible.

I'm sorry and I know that you will probably be mad at me for what I posted, but I would rather keep people safe than let them see what you posted and think that it is safe. I'm not here to win any popularity contests.