Thread: Will this work?
View Single Post
Old 2014-08-13, 5:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthelm View Post
propane is a more likely to make soot marks on the glass then propoplean propoplean also burns a little hotter.

you may just be able to put a hood over your bench and connect it directly to the exhaust fan.
If it was a paint or finishing room then the Exhaust should be strong enough.
If it was a work room the exhaust may actually be part of a dust collection system and that would be a bad option, Dust can be very flammable and even explosive if air born.
It could also just be ventilation.
A walk though of the space and seeing what its hooked up to should let you know Whats going on.
An airflow meter and a calculator should let you figure out how much air is being pulled out of the space.
Dale or someone could walk you though the math on how much air flow you need for what your working with.
Good things to think about, thanks!

He has a paint room and a sanding room, but he said that those rooms are so full of flammable material that they weren't even worth considering. After a second walk-through today I saw that one exhaust fan is actually in the ceiling, open to the outside (not for dust collection, to move air out of the room). That one is the more powerful fan so I'm thinking the best option is to attach the duct to that fan and bring it straight down with some type hood over the torch area. I can ask him what the cfm is for that fan, but I have the feeling that it is more than sufficient for my needs.

I'm wondering if I need to build an enclosure around the table or if the open end of the duct will be enough to pull the contaminated air away...