View Single Post
Old 2014-07-23, 4:53pm

Default Buck a Pound

Quote:
Has anyone received a reply on this from Mike?
Hi everyone. Ok, let me tell you what is going on with the $1 per pound glass. I guess there was a misunderstanding, that I was selling small amounts of scrap glass for $1.00 per pound. Normally we sell scrap glass for $4.00 per pound. But we had around 700 or more pounds of glass and about 500 pounds were in trash cans in our cutting room.

I was offering this glass at $1.00 per pound if somebody would show up and haul the glass in the trash cans away after giving me $500..

Then LEr's started saying they want 10 pounds, and they wanted it shipped USPS Flat Rate.

I began to remove the glass from the barrels and as I washed the glass in the trash can, the frit would fall lower into the can and then it was like cement and I had to pull one rod at a time. If I had given this job to an employee, I would have had to charge more than $1.00 per pound. And indeed some posted for me to charge more than $1 a pound to make it worth our while.

Soon I found out that this was a larger, bigger job than I ever could have imagined, but $500 for 500 pounds sounded good as nobody has to pay me to work here.

I was using the carts we use to fill orders as a work station to place broken glass on. Then I drilled holes into the carts to let the water out as I washed the glass. Sure, the frit would wash away, but the rods were still coated with a film of dirt.

Today I have brought a new tool for separating the frit from the glass rods and as soon as the sun comes out I will start cleaning more glass.

I found out that I could put about 20 pounds of scrap glass into a USPS box, but soon found out that I was not using the flat rate box. But I feel that I can get 15 pounds of glass in a box, but with no protection from damage. Yes broken scrap glass and break even more.

I still have many pounds of scrap glass to go through. Once I am done with that I will pack up the order for 500 pounds and ship smaller packages to those who have requested so.

I should have a few hundred pounds left, and I will pack some in the USPS Flat Rate and see what I can get into it and come up with a price which may be higher than a buck a pound (but not much higher).

As I said, this project is bigger than I thought due to the frit turning into cement, and it is not urgent to do and will continue to process glass when the sun decides to shine again and dry out my wet glass.

So there is the update.

Mikey

Frantz Art Glass Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Torch Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206