View Single Post
Old 2007-02-13, 9:44am

I use alice's and have for years and I just love it. I think the only time I ever have problems is if the mandrels have sat around for a long time...

Here are some of my tips for bead release.
The release tends to dry out in the jar.
#1 make sure your release is in a soft plastic jar. You know, most of them come in that kind of soft (unbreakable plastic)
#2 the reason the release dries out in the jar is because you have release remaining on the threads at the top.... keep those threads clean and the inside of the lid so that you get an air tight seal every time.
AGAIN make sure you release is in a non breakable jar...
and throw a couple of wonkies in with your release. These act like mixing balls.
(if you need to add a little bit of water...the mixing balls will keep your mix smooooooooooth no lumps ever)

Actually if I start with powder and water in my jar and add the right amount of water... I can go from powder and water to baby's bottom smooth release in under 30 seconds. Leave them in there and as you release dries out...you can add more water to keep it the right consistency.

This is why I use a powder... alice's is great and reasonable... If it dries out and you need to add water if you add too much water...ahhhhhhh hummmmm gunna have to leave the lid off for a while...

So wonkies in your soft plastic jar...will keep your release smooth...just shake if you need to add water...

Make sure to keep the threads at the top of your jar and the threads on the bottle clean...if you do...your release won't dry out as fast.

I would say the down side to pre mixed bead release is that if it starts to dry out and you add water and you add too much... darn...gotta let it sit open until it dries more...

it is always nice to be able to fine tune your release to the consistency you want.

So
A. to keep your release from drying out too quickly keep the threads on the lid and the top of the jar clean.

B. If you are using a powder like alice's or if your release dries out between uses (if you follow A above that shouldn't happen very often) keep a couple of wonkies in your (unbreakable) solf plastic jar...add a couple drops of water and shake.

When I start a new jar ...powder and water...and wonkies... I can get a completely smooth release in under 30 seconds...you can always add a little extra water so start water poor...

Ditto to new mandrels might be oily so... make sure to clean them frist..

Again...if you use a premixed release...and you add too much water...well I guess you have to sit around and wait for some of it to evaporate...

Alice's bead release is fantastic...You buy it by the bucket and it will last you a long long long time....and if you should happen to make it too soupy you can always fine tune with a little extra powder...

I used to have these up on my website but I just haven't had time to keep it up...

Beads galore at my ebay store!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!