View Single Post
Old 2010-03-06, 10:18am
I speak Murrini!

I've not made butterflies successfully yet, but I hope you don't mind me chiming in with yellow-in-murrini experience.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heather Ferman whom most of you know well (a wonderful and successful murrini and bead maker who does butterflies awesomely) was kind enough to spend a little time chatting with me by phone about my murrini creations and we also discussed the possibility of disaster using yellows.

I've made a few murrini that used LOTS of yellow - and maybe it was just luck, or maybe it's the glass I used - but I've had no problems with them whatsoever! We're not speaking butterflies here, but I'm referring to my "Rubber Duckie" murrini as an example:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

As you can see here, this was a rather large gather (about 1 1/2" diam. before the pull, and on a Hot Head no less!):

I used copious amounts of clear to stabilize the shape, being an odd one with tails and beaks and the like.

For this, I used "Moretti Lt. Lemon Yellow" #591 404 and for the surround of the wing, I did indeed use "Mustard" - actually Moretti Ocher # 591 460 - but obviously in small amounts.

I have some of Heather's "Yellow Tang" murrini - which appear to be the same Lemon Yellow as my Rubber Duckies - and they are wonderful and stable as well. Maybe if you're gonna use Yellow at all, the Lt. Lemon Yellow is the way to go.

Interestingly, neither Heather's Tangs nor my Rubber Duckies come into contact with more than just a speck (eyes) of Black; whereas the butterfly wings are surrounded with the black outline. Could this have something to do with it? Just putting some thoughts out there...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro