View Single Post
Old 2010-03-23, 10:35am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracatzlampwork View Post
Thanks for sharing - those are lovely beads..have you tried with dark amber?
Oh yes, dark amber, all of the shades of amber, plus greens, amethyst, cobalt, and even opaque colors. You could even use one of the striking reds. I've used the Effetre striking red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dymond_mom View Post
Beautiful beads! Thanks for sharing your techniques with us.

One question....do you have to use silver LEAF or will silver FOIL do the same thing?
I use leaf but I'm sure it could be done with foil. Maybe since that would be a heavier layer of silver, it would be better to use foil on a larger bead, like a 15-16mm size due to compatability. I've read somewhere on these forums several times that too much silver can cause cracking.

You would have to cut the foil to a different size to ensure a full wrap-around of the silver. Make a bead in the larger size and leave it the mandrel for a reference to check the size of your strip of foil for coverage.

Another idea - If you made a large tab bead, you could use a strip of foil in places on this bead, and put your "jewels" in the silvered area.

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-03-23 at 9:45pm.