View Single Post
Old 2007-12-19, 7:31am
Forms in Glass

Default Here's yet another tool for you to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Hi There Everyone!

Well, if it were me...I'd try a combo burrito using Michael's (FiG) tutorial on "Making Rings Off Mandrel" (here's the link):

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75360

With this neat looking little tool from WeaverInd (here's the link, too):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fine-Grain-Graph...QQcmdZViewItem

To start with, after purchasing the Graphite Ring Mandrel, I'd use it as a "guide" and take a piece of paper, wind it around the size on the mandrel of the ring I intend to make, and use this as a length guide for the cutting the Latticio or rod or whatever the ring will be made from. Then you know you have the length/size ratio correct.

After following Steps/Photos #1-8 of Michael's Tutorial, at Step/Photo #9, I'd use the Graphite Ring Mandrel to do the final shaping - first into round using the smaller sizes/tip end. Then, as the ring rounds out into shape, I'd carefully (with "tongs" or "tweezers", carefully slide the ring up to the correct original size, and make sure it's "true".

How this idea sounding?

Now I want one of those Mandrels!!!! Ha...it's always something!!!

DeAnne in CA
Yes The graphite tool is very usefull in not only determining the round shape but also in determining if the glass congealed to much, constricting smaller than one would have liked. In finding the right size to cut the cane I find your low tec. solution of paper or string quite ingenious. I would use my Pi dividers also low tec. but the tool is a tad spendy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Etsy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.