View Single Post
Old 2010-02-21, 5:01pm

Red face mommy of BOC participant

I hope you guys don't mind me intruding here
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, but I was referred here by a beadworker that I contacted on Etsy. My son is in the Beads of Courage Program. He is 2, and about to have his 2nd open-heart surgery.

I was looking to have several specific beads made, a bed=nursing home stay, a sneaker=a heartwalk missed because he is in isolation before surgery, a doctor=losing his pediatric cardiologist when he moved, and some houses/hotel=each night spent at a hotel or Ronald McDonald House because of medical procedures/surgeries. Also, if possible, a heart fimo bead? The fimo bead is for being on ECMO (heart/lung bypass machine), but the fimo beads I got were like a little blond girl, and a tiger, and I'd much rather have a heart. I purchased one from ebay, but didn't realize how big it was, and it is like 38 mm!! I was looking for one more like 20mm??

I have found an Etsy artist who feels confident in her skills to make the bed and sneaker, but she is hesitant to try the doctor or the houses.

I would be so grateful if anyone here would consider doing the doctor and house beads. The doctor is male, black, with a receding hairline. I'm thinking just a head and torso is fine, maybe with a lab coat and stethoscope? I would of course pay for any time and materials invested.

I have to admit, I have been lurking here today, and reading all the posts about the BOC, and I am very moved. I never imagined that the beads that mean so much to us, as recipients, also mean so much to those that design and donate them. Without you guys, there could be no program.

When I first learned about the program, online, I thought "How nice..." Our hospital doesn't participate, so I called the BOC program to find out why. They offered to do Beads from a Distance, and I e-mail them a tally sheet and they ship the beads to me. Surprisingly, I found myself eagerly checking the mail for the first shipment, and actually cried when I opened them and could tell how much time and effort went into the special beads. I immediately sat down to string them, and was amazed by the therapeutic value. I have had his beads since June 2009, and have restrung them about 8 times, just because I like to do it. I take them out at least once every few weeks, and count them, and feel them, and examine them, remembering what each one stands for. It gives me a tangible THING to see, and each bead is something that he's overcome, whether it was open-heart surgery, a sedated MRI, an echocardiogram, blood transfusion, dressing change, or just an IV or therapy visit. Each bead is a victory over his heart defects, each one is something that he, and I, have accomplished.

The BOC program has been as wonderful for me as it has been for him, and I'm amazed at how much they mean to us. I was reading a post earlier about how some of your bead artists pray while making the beads for the BOC program, and it brought tears to my eyes. To think that not only you guys unselfishly donate your materials, time, and talent for our children, but also pieces of your souls, that is so amazing and I wanted to say thank you.

I know you rarely get to speak with any of the actual recipients of your beads, and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions, whether of a general or personal nature. I am not shy (can't you tell?) and it doesn't bother me to talk about his health, or my emotions, or his long-term prognosis. It actually helps sometimes. He is only 2, so he doesn't understand what his beads mean, but I do, and they mean more to me than I ever thought they would. To someone else, they may be just pieces of glass, but to me they are symbols of pride, strength, courage, and patience.

Again, sorry to intrude on your forum, but I hate to bother Robert and send him on a chase for beads that I really doubt they'll have at the warehouse/office. I have these pictures in my head of what I want, and would LOVE to see them brought to life.

You can e-mail me directly at
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or call at 409-728-1650.

Tamara Lemus