View Single Post
Old 2012-05-11, 11:45pm
Lizard rescue squad

If it is decent graphite, water won't hurt it at all. If it isn't decent graphite, it will be useless for tools anyway. Cooling graphite tools in water is standard practice in scientific glassblowing. NOT cooling graphite when one should is what eats it up.

As far as cooling the brass tool, water is what I use. If the tool is a size or shape that can't easily be dipped, then use a wet cloth to cool it. Any excess water will evaporate very quickly. The freezer pack idea sounds interesting, although I'm not quite sure how it would be used.

Oddly, my experience with silver glass has been that steel works better than brass, and brass works better than graphite when it comes to chilling the glass to get good color. It doesn't seem that it should make much difference, but it appears to.

Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by glassmaker; 2012-05-11 at 11:54pm.