Thread: boro boro boo
View Single Post
Old 2005-11-17, 5:28pm
Save the Numbats

Silver Iris and Violet Iris don't have very much silver. Also, there has been MUCH confusion on these colors...
Violet Iris is supposed to have a trace of silver, Silver Iris, substantially more. I got a sample of Violet Iris and liked it. I wanted to try Silver Iris, but it wasn't in my sample pack. Momkas sent me another Violet Iris, but no Silver, with my next sample pack, and they owed me a small refund anyway so I called and talked to Sabina, and I was sent two pieces of Silver Iris. ... I thought? it was just like the Violet Iris. I called Sabina and she said there may have been a labeling problem (don't get me started on the labeling confusion between Carribean Coral and American Beauty).
So, I thought, I know I'm going to like Silver Iris. I ordered a pound from Generations Glass. I cannot detect any silver! It's just like the Violet Iris... but more BUBBLY!!! AAAGH! I'd try a different color. If you're expecting to get striking action, you won't get it from Momka Iris.

Anyway, the kiln question... I leave my kiln at 1070 all day. It's an AIM 99LS, so it's not actually 1070 in the front... it's more like 950-1000 by the door. So I leave most of my stuff a few inches in and then push them all back at night, soak for an hour or two, ramp to 950 over 1 hour (at least), soak 20 min, ramp to 650 and shut off. You don't really need to get over 1075 to strike your colors unless you really want. 1100-1200 can make some colors look good, but it can cause a problem with some colors, such as sparkles, so I don't go over 1090.