View Single Post
Old 2009-02-23, 3:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassyEyedGirl View Post
4. Linda, aren't you retired from a company that makes this kind of testing equipment, according to your posts in the other thread? Surely you have some industry connections that you could call upon, since it is obviously a subject you feel passionately about? I am curious about what eye protection you use and what kind of glass do you work with? Speaking of which... have not seen your work yet, would love to have you join us in the Gallery section!

Bottom line... I definitely want to be safe, but I would not want to waste money on expensive eye protection that is not necessary.
Great question, Beth! We do indeed make IR instruments that work in the UV and IR bands of interest to lampworkers. Tempting as it is, these are made for special customers in clean-room environments and would be hands-off for this kind of thing. There's cheaper, standard test equipment available that's just as good for what we want here, however. The company I worked for sells test services, too, and may have the right test equipment available. If not, I'm sure it could be rented. They are very expensive, however. I don't know how people would feel about pitching in for a test that could cost in the many thousands of dollars.

I happen to own AUR-92's. I've had them so long, I don't remember if Phillips's equivalent products were available at the time or if I didn't happen to know about Phillips. I work soda-lime almost exclusively at the moment, but am interested in trying my hand at boro at some point, and at that time, will be faced with the eyewear/ protection question again.

Thanks for the encouragement to post in the Gallery! I've been in limbo until I get my ventilation system finished. Can't wait to get back to my torch!

Linda