Thread: Smoke Bomb Test
View Single Post
Old 2010-02-03, 7:20pm
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Cornette View Post
Yours is the same system as I am using in my shop and I am amazed at how well it works. I can stick a 2 x 2 piece of wood directly in the flame where a glass rod wood be and not smell any smoke or see any for that matter. I guess it is due due to the complete burning of the organic matter in the intense heat of the torch. If I drop the wood just below the flame I get a nice plume of smoke off the wood that goes directly into the collector.
I did the same test with a 2 x 2 (not kidding!) piece of oak and got the same results with my funnel system.

The fan is a Panasonic http://tinyurl.com/yerqq38. I did a lot of research to find a relatively quiet one, this one is 2 sones and with the short ducting (20" from the reducer to the fan) it is really quiet.

The system exhausts straight outside of the basement. This is how it looks from the outside

The make-up air comes from a vent across the room (behind me) that my husband had installed to use the basement as a shop (for paint fumes). We were going to have a vent under the torch first (hole in the table, ducting under the table, etc) but after he had installed the hole thing we found that would have been overkill.

I had to move my table a little further from the funnel because the draft was interfering with the flame, so I pulled my table away so that it's now exactly 12" from the funnel. The funnel itself is just a 10 to 8 reducer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.