View Single Post
Old 2008-02-19, 8:12pm
da General

Thank you everyone. I got a couple of PMs regarding getting colors on Khaos. This is what I wrote back - thought I would share it here in the thread for those who may be interested. (This is been posted lots before by others who have had success with striking silver glass.)

The trick to getting colors on all striking silver glass is to heat and cool and heat and cool repeatedly. The first heat must be so hot that the surface of the glass turns translucent (almost droopy) - then cool until the glow is gone (do the under the table test). Reheat starting at the tip of the flame (as not to thermal shock), then bring the bead in closer to normal range, you don't need to heat it as much the second (and subsequent) time. When you cool it again, it should be dark brown. If it's not, then you didn't heat it hot enough the first time (in this case heat it again to translucent).

If you have dark brown after the first strike. Cool and heat again and you should get dark purple, repeated cooling and heating yield blues, greens, yellows, sometimes reds and terra cotta depending on the glass.

You need to play with it - depending how much you heat and how much you cool, you will get different colors.

When I make the beads above - they are about 1 1/4" - by the time I finish shaping the beads, the ends are dark purple/blue. So I just have to play with heating the middle in order to get the colors out.

Lastly, when you get what everyone calls baby poo - you have overstruck the glass. Just start all over by super heating it again. Most striking glass are forgiving so you can start all over. Just remember to get dark brown on first strike!

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|