View Single Post
Old 2012-01-14, 4:51pm

The pressure inside a propane canister ranges from around 90-140psi depending on the temperature. This is the same for any size tank.

The HH is designed to take full tank pressure, while torches that use oxygen are designed to take anywhere from 0.25-20psi of gas.

Regulators are designed to deliver gas to a hose at a lower pressure. There are regulators for all kinds of gas, like propane, natural gas, oxygen, carbon dioxide, etc.

You need a regulator that is designed for propane or acetylene. Acetylene is a welding gas that uses the same threads as propane. The regulator you will need will have one of two types of inlets: left-hand male thread or right-hand female thread. A male thread is designed for the larger tanks and a female thread is designed for the small tanks that you want to use. The steak-saver devise is used to adapt the male thread to the female thread.

There are a few different kinds of regulators, welding style and pancake style.

Welding style have one or two gauges and are always adjustable. The are more expensive than pancake regulators.

Pancake regulators are used for barbecues and the like. They usually deliver a set pressure and do not have gauges. If you do get a pancake regulator, try to get one that delivers more than 2psi. I have had issues not being able to get enough gas to my torch with less pressure.

Either type will work fine for your application.

While propane and acetylene regulators are compatible, the hoses are not. Hoses for fuel gas are made in two types, R and T. I believe that T grade is safe for both and R grade can only be used for acetylene, but someone needs to confirm this. Finding the right grade is important.

For the oxygen hose, you just need normal oxygen hose.

Don't forget flashback arrestors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.