View Single Post
Old 2012-02-20, 1:54pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

As Lorraine says there is no answer to your question. There is, however, a solution to the problem of good ventilation for your space.

Let's look at the possible route to that solution.

In most cases the artist has a physical space, studio, set aside.
How big is the studio space?
What objects or spaces on the other side of the studio's walls will impact the mechanical setup?
Is there access to the outdoors?
Is there room to have at least 10 feet between where the vent system dumps the contaminated air and where the makeup air comes in?
Does the contaminated air impact someone elses property or safety or might it be sucked into another part of the building?
Where are doors and windows loocated in the space and how high are they from the floor/ceiling?
Can I cut holes in these walls?
Where do I want my workbench in the studio?
Will it face the door or wall? Will it be in the center of the room so it is multi sided?
How is the ceiling constructed and can I hang a somewhat heavy vent hood and ducting from it?
What other furnishings will I want in the studio?
Where will the kiln be located?
Where will the fire extinguisher be located?
How much electrical power is available? Is it enough for my equipment or do I buy equipment to fit the power; go smaller/ larger?
Are there special limitations such a stairs or sharp corners that may limit access?
What colors are pleasant ot work in for me?
Do I want to work standing, sitting, or both?
How long before I want to upgrade to a bigger torch and will this setup handle it?
Where will I store glass and how much?
Is the lighting suitable?
Can I build some or all of this myself? Do I have friends that can/will help?
How much can I afford and how much can I dump into the project at a time?
Can I make some or most of my small tools? What basic tools do I need to get started?
How big does my hood need to be?
What should the hood be made of or can it be made of? Do I buy or sub out (design and have fabricated) making a hood?
Do I think I'll ever have more than one torch station or teach classes?
Is this a hobby or a business venture or both?
Can I go cheap now and upgrade later or will that involve more work and expense than warranted so it's better to go good now?
Do I have access to places that supply materials I need to do some or all of the homemade things?

This is not a complete list of the many questions you will need to consider but it may help with major points that you will need to look at as you go along. It seems daunting and is a bit complicated but some of these will fall into place as you make decisions on other aspects of the problem. We all went down this road and can offer advice on what worked for us but keep in mind that each of us had/has a unique situation and came up with a unique solution for our particular studio. You can and will also.

PJH