View Single Post
Old 2008-06-21, 9:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne225 View Post
I posted over in the pandora section also but I just want to let you guys know if I can do this...you can do this...
After reading Andrew's great tut I went out and got my shiny hammer...worked this morning on lining and I am pleased with my first results

I used a specialty jewelrs rouge 2 sided cloth..at least this fancy one was newer to me...couldn't find the real fine grit paper Andy was talking about.

Let's give a big HIGH FIVE to Andrew for straightening us all out

Anne
Yahoo awesome anne, that is fantastic im so glad someone showed the results. You deserve a big pat on the back .

Quote:
Hi DeAnne i do have it and il put all the tools and links you sent into a section in the tut if thats ok with you.
Quote is from me in ealier post is it ok if i put those links into the tutorial in a tools section?

Quote:
Thanks for this Andrew..what a clean clear tutorial with lots of great photos. I'm always a little baffled when I see how easy this looks tho, because I've tried this and did not get the tube to move past your second photo describing the process a tube goes through, and it took me more than a couple of tiny hits to get it to go that far. Its possible I moved up too fast in successive sizes of dapping punches...??
Yes the hardest bit is knowing what is enought to get the next dapping punch to flare it. Also what sort of tube are You using and what is the wall thickness? If the wall thickness is to thick you really have to give it a good whack. The wall thickness i use is .4 of a mm.

So Take the Inside diameter of the tube from the outside of the tube which gives you both wall thicknesses combined the divide by two.

Mine is 6mm o/d minues 5.2mm i/d = .8mm divide by 2 = .4mm which is about average. So have a look at that first and see if you have a much thicker wall. If you have around the same as me then id make sure the first dapping punch isnt to big. Should only be about the same size as od of tube.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Thanks for the info on how to achieve that great doming effect! I can't wait until you do the polishing part. It's hard to find info on polishing, including the items necessary to get a mirror finish!
Hi Lauralou

Will be next week before the polishing bit sorry.

Quote:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO what is that cool bolt like thing you have the bead sitting on in the 15th photo? Can we make one and if so give me an idea! Is it nessesary? Does anyone else use this kind of thing?
Jen
Hi Jen

I have been working out a way to make it very cheap and quickly. I now have it worked out and it cost me about sixty cents and about 20 minutes to polish it. I will try and get that tutorial done tonight after a few more jobs. should only take 30 minutes hopfuly.

Thanks all for the lovely comments

Regards
Andrew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
back up and running. Been months so needs major work. (updated 12/06 )