View Single Post
Old 2008-07-01, 8:52am

Default Polishing ( Da pretty silva bit )

Ok boys and girls ( and pat ) here is the promised polishing tut. Hope it is worth waiting for.

Okay this is what we have after or hitting things with our nice chasing hammer. If we have been good and kept at a constant angle whilst using our pretty hammer we should have a nice clean face to work with without to many nicks and bangs.

Now this is top secret. Dont tell a sole ( mm think thats a shoe ). These little beuties are called Silicon Carbide Brownies and Greenies and are produced by the shofu dental company. They are a clean eficient way of polishing without a liquid polish. I dont show the brownies here but lower you will see them. Im more showing the shapes i use.

Note * Always use some type of mask when polishing with these just in case. *

Here are the two grades i use the brownie which gives you a satin finish and the greenie which gives you a verynice finish like a rouge polish. I have only shown three shapes there are five that i know of by this manufacturer. Of the three i have shown i have found for the inserts the bullet shape to be the best for me but try other shapes for your self.

I use a dremel but anything will do as long as the job gets done . I do the centre first with the brownie which is the coarser of the two.

Then move onto the face of the dome. Ive found that using the bullet shaped bit at right angles to the face then going from side to side works nicely but experiment and see. I have never had a problem of when going of the edge onto the bead in scratching the bead but once again check for your self on a old bead or a glass rod.

This is what we end up with after the coarser brownie, not bad a satin finish. If you wanted you could simply leave it there.

Here we swap from the brownie to the greenie (sounds like a ecological campaign ) being the finer of the two and rinse and repeat.

Ok after the fine we end up with a very nice finish. I would say its very close to a rouge finish. Now you can go two ways here and purchase the super greenies which are a better finish again or ( drum roll )

This is what i like to use. I have been using this polish for longer than i can remember and i find it to be the best final polish for metal ive ever used.

I apply this with a soft lint free cloth and it takes very little effort to get a brilliant finish.

So there we have it, not hard and a awesome finish. I have done a little research for you guys and found that you can get the polishing tips from here. They have there own range which i might try myself . Now with the Autosol id say any auto shop or walmart.

Hope this helps you guys out. Thanks for looking.

Regards

Andrew.

The Rivet Tutorial can be found here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
back up and running. Been months so needs major work. (updated 12/06 )

Last edited by Andrew; 2008-07-01 at 9:12am.