View Single Post
Old 2006-08-08, 10:12pm

Hi Lavender - thanks for your encouragement. It seems really that there is no "one and only best consistency" but rather a matter of trial and error until you find what works best for your configuration.

Hi Laurie - I agree with what you say. I would not consider a bead release that I have to mix up myself either. And the one I used (Foster Fire) IS premixed. However, it was so thick and clumpy when it arrived, that it was unusable in the premixed state. That's why I added water.

Hi Donna - thanks for the steelwool/pot cleaner tip. The mandrels that I dipped today were brand new. So I removed the release again and followed your tip. Didn't have time today to try it, but I'm hoping to give it go again on Thursday.

Hi Emily - thank you for your words of encouragement. I was just really disappointed because this never happened during the classes that I took. But once I have all the materials and start all enthusiastic, 4 of 6 beads go wrong because of the release cracking. I do use a HH now, while we had a Minor in class. I think this could be one of the reasons - I realised several times that I was tugging on the rod because I thought the glass would not be cold already. Guess I have to get used to the different torches too. So thanks for the pointer - I will try to be more patient and ensure that the glass is still fluid and really hot.

Thanks guys - you rock! I will certainly give it another go within the next couple of days. And I will try think about all the tips and ideas that I got from your answers.