View Single Post
Old 2008-06-25, 8:24am
Looking for my waistline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpulley View Post
If I do not have kiln wash can I use bead release instead to coat the kiln tiles before putting the dichroic on them? Also can I put the dichroic side up or does it always have to be down?

Thanks
Jane
Instead of buying a whole tub of kiln wash and not using the leftovers, buy a sheet of Bullseye thinfire paper and lay it under your dichro, dichro side down. Take some little bits of scrap glass, any kind even window glass will do) or a mandrel and lay it across the edge of the paper. It will prevent the edge of the kiln paper from curling and rolling up on top of your dichro.

If you use glass as a weight, leave a little of the outer edge of the paper exposed, enough so when your glass weight starts to melt, it doesn't melt over the edge of the paper and stick to your kiln.

I actually use both kiln wash and fusing paper for a lot of what I do. Some might think it's overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to melted glass and my kiln bricks.