Thread: Cheaper HotHead
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-10, 9:46pm

OK, I've looked through the Frit-Happens ! forum. Thanks for that lead.

I'm just trying to find information and answer questions, I'm not really a beader myself. (I supervise the club, so I'm supposed to be watching everyone for safety reasons, so can't participate myself.)

Before looking at that forum, I was not opposed to the idea of using a flashback arrestor. It is just a check (one way) valve. (Well, I couldn't really verify that because I couldn't get one apart to look at it without applying excessive force, but I blew through both ends and got the expected results.) I'm still not opposed. My opinion is that if people want to use them it is a good idea and the easiest way would be to purchase a fuel flashback arrestor with barbed ends. I'd install it closer to the torch than to the tank by cutting the bulk hose, inserting the flashback arrestor, and securing with hose clamps. Then, of course, perform a leak test with a soapy solution.

I looked at the regulators they recommend. I'm not surprised that they have trouble lighting their torches. The most common one sold has a maximum output of 56 psig. I'm being negligent by not providing a source, but I've read on the forum that the Hot Head is designed for pressures close to 100 psig. I agree with the opinion I have read that regulators are not necessary for that reason. Tuffnells did also sell an industrial propane regulator which is much more expensive. I have seen them on the Airgas site for over $100. That regulator would be better, if someone decided that a regulator was desirable, because the maximum set pressure is about 150 psig. In the US, it would be easiest to use an acetylene regulator because similar design propane regulators I have seen only go to 50 psig on the outlet.

Those are some current opinions, but I haven't finished making up my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post
De, You can get answers on the frit Happens forum...in the UK they all use regulators and arrestors with thier HH torches. Tuffnells sells the kits for HH and you can look at it. Their terminology is a little hard to figure out.

Let us know what you find out. I have seen no complaints on using the HH with regulator and arrestor from that forum..I will go and do a little more research for you too.

Hugs

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2009-12-10 at 10:25pm.