Thread: Cheaper HotHead
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-11, 10:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Anza Art Glass Club View Post
What a great science project. Supposedly the difference between a Hot Head and a normal brazing torch is the amount of air it consumes. Most brazing torches I have seen have air ports just above the gas valve and also have vanes in the head to swirl the mixture. The Hot Head has air ports located at the end of the offset pipe. The operation of both is similar: air is entrained in the stream of gas that exits at high velocity from a small hole. However, the gas mixture of the cutting/brazing torch travels down a long nozzle before it gets to the diffusion head while the diffusion head for the Hot Head is just after the air inlets. Presumably, the purpose of this is so that the flame for the cutting/brazing torch is more focused.

Anyway, if the torch redesigned to a Hot Head takes in more air, the flame should be different, so I should be able to measure the flame temperature and/or temperature profile of an original design torch and a Hot Head and see a difference if, in fact, they are different. Unfortunately, I only have a 2000°F pyrometer right now, but I'll look around and see if an appropriate instrument is available. Another option would be to get a MAG torch and compare the air inlet port size and oriface size with the Hot Head dimensions.

Who knows which one I'll get to first, but if there is a real interest, I'll put that on my "to do" list.
I don't know as I've never even seen a HH working live, in person. So I don't know but, Can/Should you not be able to see a difference in the torches?

Mag also has a pencil point torch....

I guess for our* experiment is an original HH, a new HH and the MT245C. I believe that's the one closest to the HH.

*And when I say I say "our" I really mean "your". LOL!!!
We get the original HH down here but that really is expensive for the locals & the MAPP is a budget killer. It's all imported.