View Single Post
Old 2012-11-10, 12:01pm
I'm a lilac!

Default Some questions about tutorials

So, here are a few things that have crossed my mind over the years, and I am wondering what everyone's thoughts on them are... especially people who sell tutorials.

In general, it is considered poor form to reveal or teach a technique sold in a tutorial. However, there have been a number of situations in which I have had the following questions:

What if you have been practicing a technique which creates the same effect for many years? Once a tutorial on it comes out, I have often felt as if I should refrain from sharing my method on the forums, because I don't want to step on any toes or for people to think poorly of me as "that jerk who undermined so-and-so's tutorial sales".

What do you do when a tutorial comes out that teaches a technique you know someone else has been practicing for a long time, and has previously published their method elsewhere? Is it poor form to mention it?

What if you come up with a technique that creates the same effect as one sold in a tutorial through your own independent experimentation, without trying to copy? Is it fair game, or do you refrain from posting pics or explaining how you did it, out of respect for the artist who published the tut?

What if you showed someone one of your techniques, and they later (having forgotten where they learned it) incorporate it into a tut? Do you refrain from mentioning it or explaining how it's done, so as to avoid embarrassing them or harming your relationship?

What if you have an especially effective way of doing something, and although it isn't necessarily unique, you believe that you can create a particularly effective tutorial to help walk people through the process step-by-step? If you find this category of tutorial legitimate and beneficial, does that affect how you view any of the previous dilemmas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.