View Single Post
Old 2010-02-06, 9:47pm

Default Is working on patio safe?

I live in South Florida and have been working on my patio. I work on a bobcat with an oxycon and propane. The oxycon runs in the house with the hose coming through a special wood piece that my husband made for me so that I can shut the sliding door with the oxycon inside and the propane outside. I use quick release valves on the oxycon and the propane and remove them every time I finish torching. I store the small BBQ type propane bottles on the patio (I have two...one in case I run out). The torch, propane and kiln are within six feet of each other when I'm working. Second propane bottle is about 12feet away on the other side of the patio. Since I live on the east coast we have a lot of wind here and I've felt this was good ventilation....I'm outside right? The patio is screened in and there is a small two foot metal wall around it.
After reading some of the threads here tonight, I'm wondering if this is an o.k. set up. I sure don't want to blow up my house or get sick from fumes. I've never felt sick after torching and I check the the connections regularly for leaks.
As I said, I've always felt I was safe because I'm outside but I want to check. No nasty surprises needed after all.
Thanks for any input you may give.
Mary