View Single Post
Old 2007-12-18, 11:00am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrag13 View Post
i really don't understand why everyone says to buy some expensive ring mandrels and such. those are at least 35 plus $ when everyone has a socket set in thier garage...
Hi Again!

Well, first of all, if I dare get near my Hubby's socket wrench set (especially with the words "hot glass" scrolling across my forehead and flashing neon in my eyes!), I'm sure he'd FREAK! So as far as the ones I have just "hanging" around in my garage, they're spoken for. (After all, if he asked if he could "borrow" my torch for a welding job, I'd tell him to take a hike!) So, I guess this is partly why some of us would bother to spend the money on an actual "Mandrel" to make the rings...this way, we're sure it's not going to be "reborrowed" back, and, further, if the mandrel (like the one from WeaverInd., $32.50 by the way on a BIN) actually HAS the ring sizes "marked" right on it, well, no guessing and no "experimenting" with which "socket" do-hicky actually makes what size ring.

If you'd care to share the formula here, though - I'm sure lots of people would appreciate it. For example, which size "socket" should be used to make a Size 8 ring...? I think that was the original question which began this whole thread after all!!! Yeah? (Giggle)

Thanks in advance for your help!
DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro