View Single Post
Old 2010-10-24, 9:53am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Default WHAT NOT TO DO with a ROD WARMER

Lisa ... Wonderful test beads, thank you...

I have a WHAT NOT TO DO with the ROD WARMER....
I wrap my rod warmer in a fiber blanket to help cool down some of the larger beads a bit slower.. And it works very well (most times).. The other day I did like I always do, make my beads put them in the warmer as I make them.. When I am done for the day, I rewrap the warmer in the blanket and turn off the warmer, works like a charm.. For some reason I didn't unwrap the warmer when I turned it on.. I sat down to make a few beads...As I'm sitting there at the torch I can smell something burning, looked around couldn't see anything so I just thought that a piece of hot glass must have found a dust bunny.. No harm done... I finish making my bead, go to put the bead in the rod warmer and I see the rod warmer is glowing bright orange like a jack o lantern sitting under a pile of snow... (The glow is a great effect, end result not so good..) I unplug the warmer, take the fiber blanket off the warmer, (did you know that if you get a fiber blanket hot enough that it becomes crunchy and will hold the shape of the warmer???) Now if you look at the picture I don't think I need to say more, other than I have a new warmer on order and DO NOT DO THIS...
My DH thought this was very funny and I still do not see any humor in it at all.. In fact I was a bit scared... By the way the silver puddle you see in front of the warmer is (was) an aluminum ridged marver (melting point 933.57 F (660.32 C)), and the small puddle is the case of the warmer...
Just thought I should post this as a safety first, and pay close attention to what you (me) are doing..
Attached Images

Big Hugs, We all need them...