View Single Post
Old 2008-08-02, 7:33pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditfd View Post
Forgive me, but could somebody backtrack for me? I'm confused with the original scenario, and then some of the stuff said after...

1.) Is the propane tank described in the first post separate from the bulk tank of, I'm assuming, MAPP gas being used for beadmaking with the HH? So the propane tank was leaking and it caused the explosion?
It was a BULK propane tank with HH on a hose. It appears there was a leak in hose or in hose fitting near HH.

Quote:

2.) If MAPP gas is discontinued, or will be, what should folks use with a HH?
Propane, Map-Pro (propylene), Propylene, Chemtane or almost any other brazing fuels. Specifically not acetylene as it is to dirty.

Quote:

3.) Also, isn't a HH an internal mix torch or whatever it's called, vs. say a minor which is surface mix? Wouldn't that have something to do with the need for flashback arrestors?
Being the HH is a fuel air torch and is technically a premix (internal mix), but that it is powered (draws air) by the force of fuel being pushed through a orifice it can not flashback. The orifice as about the size of a human hair and it is so small and the pressure behind the orifice is so great the flame front can not pass through the orifice to cause a flashback... Therefor no flashback arrestor needed.

Quote:

4.) Can a regulator be used on a bulk tank of fuel used with a HH, or must it flow out at that pressure?
Yes you can use a regulator with a HH, the regulator will have to be capable of supplying fuel to torch at about 60 to 80 PSI... HH is designed to function at tank pressure which at 70° f. is about 110 PSI. By time you buy hose and setup with regulator and what not, you might as well bypass the HH and go directly to fuel/oxygen torch.

Quote:

Sorry if this is a rehash, but it seems confusing to me, and I want to understand it completely.

Best,
Patti
Any time understanding is needed, do not hesitate to ask questions...

Cheers

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-08-02 at 7:43pm.