View Single Post
Old 2007-10-31, 6:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisdaka View Post
I've not heard/seen of the toothbrush method. Do tell!
It probably sounds more interesting than it is?!?

Hold one rod in each hand. Heat the bottom of the last inch of one rod and the "top" of the last inch of the other. When they are hot enough, stick the two heated ends together laying one on top of the other.

Since I don't know how to draw pics., on here, visualize one end of a rod as toothpaste laid on top of the other rod... the toothbrush.
(I think the name of this method comes from Cindy Jenkins.)

Keep heating the two rods where they join. I have a marver sitting on my work space so I can push the rods straight again when they start to droop.
You want to keep everything horizontal.

Bend one rod up so it attachs to the end of the "toothpaste" rod.
Bend the toothpaste rod down so it attaches to the end of the toothbrush rod.
Aim the flame at the middle. The glass will slowly melt into a gather forming a football shape.
Heat until you don't see any change in color on either rod end, especially where the "seam" is.
Try not to turn, push, or pull, either rod so the colors stay seperated and even.

Keep heating until the football shape is so molten you think it will fall onto the table.
Take out of the flame, give a little pull to make sure it's ready, wait for a skin to form and pull and twist.
Twist away from yourself with the right hand and towards yourself with the left hand.
That way when you apply the twistie if you want to make it a little tighter you can easily twist it a bit more (if your right handed) while its being applied to the bead......I think I have that part right. I never really thought this out, I just do it. But I remember Corrina writing about it.

I think there is a trick to knowing exactly when to pull but I can't remember it. Anyone? I just guess.

I think I need to learn how to draw pictures and get them onto LE!
Please let me know if this does or does not make sense.
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.