View Single Post
Old 2015-02-14, 10:11am
They see me rollin'...

I second the dry bead release! I do this all the time. If the bead is already cleaned and it has a scratch or something, I just slide it on a mandrel with dry bead release on it and made sure it won't move around.

I have mandrels of different sizes, and just try different ones until I find one that fits.

I also do what Robert does and dip the mandrel end in a tall glass of water.

Someone else in another thread said they grab it with a folded-up wet paper towel. That would accomplish the same thing as the glass of water, but would be quicker (I've been meaning to try that...).

I don't change my ramping temp and I haven't had any problems. I garage at 960 degrees and it's usually been soaking a while before I pull it out. I'm not talking huge beads here, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
I find that it's easier and cleaner to put the bead on a mandrel that has dry bead release on it. It won't adhere as much, but to repair the bead surface (vs all the way down to the mandrel), you don't need it to adhere as snuggly. You don't even need the bead to slide all the way on. If you can get the mandrel far enough into the bead hole that it'll stay still while you work on it, that's all you need, because you won't be getting the bead at the mandrel hot enough to run. I agree with Robert, that it's much easier to do repairs if you heat the glass to somewhere in the boro range and give it a good soak first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Patti