View Single Post
Old 2005-09-21, 6:10am
Mary Lockwood

Actually guys, this isn't any different than doing an offhand one. Your only modification is that you are using a mandrel as a handle instead of a rod of glass.

I have done offhand implosions and these and these are trickier for me. Other than the loop for offhand. If that is the part you have troubles with, then this will let you play with implosions until you get your loops figured out.

The reasons I find the offhand ones easier is that you are working with a much thicker 'disk' of glass, so it is easier to keep stable. Plus I love to watch the color suck up into the clear rod. I don't get that satisfaction with these.

But I love that there is a hole down the center of the finished piece and can be strung as a bead.

I started making these because I wanted to make hollow inside out beads and couldn't work the tubing very well. So I figured, you start out with a disk to make a hollow mandrel wound bead, so why can't I just decorate the insides of two disks, fuse them together and viola. Hollow implosion/inside out bead ON A MANDREL.

Only problem was that you end up with a seam down the center, no matter how closely I tried to get it. OR, the hollow would collapse and then it just looked BAD.

So I thought I would just decorate ONE disk and then let if flop over onto a point of the mandrel about a half inch a way...that proved almost impossible to do consistently. One of the flops happened when I was swatting at a bug and lost the disk down onto the mandrel too early and the mandrel wound implosion bead (for me) was born. I can't be the first person to have done it, but I did run into it on my own.

Most of the stuff I figure out happens this way. I am flailing about trying to accomplish one thing and stumble over something different. LOL

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.